Departments

History

Old-Time Police Photo

Old-Time Police photo

Old-Time Police Cars

Old-Time Police Cars

The City of East Lansing first authorized it's municipal police department in 1921. Before this, a Town Constable was appointed by the City Council to enforce laws. In 1921, the department consisted of the first Police Chief Biery and three officers. ELPD had a small jail, which was seldom used. At that time, the annual budget for the Police Department was $2,000.

In the early years, East Lansing was a very different place than it is today and the police work was of a different nature, including involving chicken thefts and stray cows. ELPD has records of noise complaints in response to the milk wagon that made its deliveries in the very early hours of the morning in the 1930s.

After World War II, Michigan State College separated its police force from the ELPD. ELPD Chief Art Brandstatter resigned and was appointed as the Chief of the Michigan State College Police force. Lt. Charles F. Pegg was then appointed as the ELPD Police Chief, a position which he held from 1946 until 1972.

The City of East Lansing continued to grow at a rapid pace, especially during the 1950s when Michigan State College became Michigan State University and the student population grew significantly. The ELPD had to grow to meet the public safety needs of a thriving city and expanding college population. Chief Pegg expanded his small police force of four officers and to a force of more than 50 officers by the time that he retired in 1972. His successors, Chiefs Steve Naert, Bob Foster, Tom Hendricks, Lawton Connelly, Louis Muhn, Tom Wibert and Juli Liebler, all made significant contributions in progressively improving the organization of the East Lansing Police Department.

East Lansing Police Chiefs
Rev. John G. Beiry
Chief John Hackett
Chief Castle W. Pratt
Chief Richard Rodgers
Chief Harold Haun
Chief Arthur Brandstatter
Chief Charles Pegg
Chief Steven Naert
Chief Robert Foster
Chief Thomas Hendricks
Chief Lawton Connelly
Chief Louis Muhn
Chief Thomas Wibert

Chief Juli Liebler

Old-Time Police Photo

Old-Time Police photo

Old-Time Police Cars

Old-Time Police Cars

The City of East Lansing first authorized it's municipal police department in 1921. Before this, a Town Constable was appointed by the City Council to enforce laws. In 1921, the department consisted of the first Police Chief Biery and three officers. ELPD had a small jail, which was seldom used. At that time, the annual budget for the Police Department was $2,000.

In the early years, East Lansing was a very different place than it is today and the police work was of a different nature, including involving chicken thefts and stray cows. ELPD has records of noise complaints in response to the milk wagon that made its deliveries in the very early hours of the morning in the 1930s.

After World War II, Michigan State College separated its police force from the ELPD. ELPD Chief Art Brandstatter resigned and was appointed as the Chief of the Michigan State College Police force. Lt. Charles F. Pegg was then appointed as the ELPD Police Chief, a position which he held from 1946 until 1972.

The City of East Lansing continued to grow at a rapid pace, especially during the 1950s when Michigan State College became Michigan State University and the student population grew significantly. The ELPD had to grow to meet the public safety needs of a thriving city and expanding college population. Chief Pegg expanded his small police force of four officers and to a force of more than 50 officers by the time that he retired in 1972. His successors, Chiefs Steve Naert, Bob Foster, Tom Hendricks, Lawton Connelly, Louis Muhn, Tom Wibert and Juli Liebler, all made significant contributions in progressively improving the organization of the East Lansing Police Department.

East Lansing Police Chiefs
Rev. John G. Beiry
Chief John Hackett
Chief Castle W. Pratt
Chief Richard Rodgers
Chief Harold Haun
Chief Arthur Brandstatter
Chief Charles Pegg
Chief Steven Naert
Chief Robert Foster
Chief Thomas Hendricks
Chief Lawton Connelly
Chief Louis Muhn
Chief Thomas Wibert

Chief Juli Liebler

   
StandardOpenID


Register
Forgot Password ?