Water & Sewer Billing
Activating and Terminating Water Service
To start or stop water service, residents can call (517) 319-6890 or visit the Treasury Department window at East Lansing City Hall, 410 Abbot Road.
Additionally, property owners may provide tenant information to the City of East Lansing by utilizing an Account Changeover Authorization form. Learn more.
How to Pay
The City of East Lansing offers a number of convenient options for paying water and sewer bills.
- Pay in person by cash, check or credit card (Visa, Mastercard or Discover) during regular business hours at East Lansing City Hall Treasury Department window, 410 Abbot Road.
- Pay by credit card (Visa, Mastercard or Discover) by calling (517) 319-6890 or (517) 319-6896.
- Drop a check or cash in in the blue Treasury drop box located in the north parking lot of East Lansing City Hall, 410 Abbot Road.
- Activate automatic bill payment (payments can be directly withdrawn from checking or savings accounts) by completing the Online Automatic Bill Payment Enrollment Form or the Automatic Bill Payment Enrollment Form (PDF). The City requires a copy of a voided check for checking account withdrawals and a copy of your bank membership card for savings account withdrawals.
- Pay online with a credit card (Visa, Mastercard or Discover).
If payment on a late notice is not paid, a door tag will be placed on the property in the month following the original due date. Door tags are typically issued on the third Wednesday of the month following the original due date and, if a payment is not received by the following Monday after the door tag is issued, water will be shut off that Tuesday. The following fees apply:
- Door Tag Fee: $18
- Turn-Off Penalty Fee: $50 (fee is assessed if payment has not been received by noon on the date indicated on the door tag)
- Turn-on Fee: Free (Monday-Friday 8 a.m. - 3 p.m.) or $245 (Saturday, Sunday, holidays and outside normal work hours of 8 a.m. - 3 p.m.)
- Out-of-sequence Meter Read: $25
The City is divided into three billing areas. Each of the areas is on a different billing cycle (see schedule below). Bills are mailed out quarterly on the first of the month and are due 20 days after the bill date. Outstanding balances are subject to a 5% late fee if payment in full is not received by the due date.
- December: August - November
- March: November - February
- June: February - May
- September: May - August
- January: September - December
- April: December - March
- July: March - June
- October: June - September
- February: October - January
- May: January - April
- August: April - July
- November: July - October
Average Bill Estimates (5/8" x 3/4" meter)
|Number of People|
Number of T-gals
The information above is based on 5/8 inch x 3/4 inch meter RTS fee and an average of six thousand gallons per person.
Rates Effective 7/1/23 - 6/30/24
|Billing Charge, per quarter||$16.29||$11.70||$27.99|
|5/8" x 3/4"||$10.84||$35.72||$46.56|
|Commodity Charge per 1,000 Gallons||$6.24||$8.13||$14.37|
Typical Water Usage in the Home
|Use of Water||Amount|
|Tub / bath||30 gal/fill|
|Clothes washer||50 gal/load|
|Garden hose||360 gal/hour|
|Pool (14'x 28' / 5.5 feet deep)||15,000 gal/fill|
Common Causes of High Water Usage
|Use of Water||Amount|
|Toilet (overflow tube leak)||Up to 4,320 gal/day|
|Toilet (flush valve leak)||Up to 4,320 gal/day|
|Faucet drip||Up to 405 gal/day|
|Lawn / garden house||Up to 360 gal/hour|