Recycle! East Lansing
The 2020 Recycle! East Lansing event has been canceled. Staff will be looking at other opportunities for residents to recycle household items in the future.
Curbside Collection for Seniors & Disabled
Curbside collection of recyclable items is available on the day of the event for seniors and disabled individuals. Call the East Lansing Prime Time Seniors' Program at (517) 337-1113 by Wednesday, May 27 to schedule a collection.
Free Refrigerator & Freezer CollectionYou don't have to bring your old refrigerators and freezers to the event! Save yourself some time and energy by calling 1-800-573-3503 to arrange a free home pickup with BWL and receive a $50 rebate! Consumers Energy electric customers have access to a similar program and can call 1-888-990-2246 for more details.
BWL Rebate for Working Room Air Conditioners
BWL residential electric customers that recycle a working room air conditioner or dehumidifier will receive a $25 rebate. Limit two each per household.
Clothing, Furniture and Household Goods Collection
Please visit Volunteers of America and The Salvation Army to learn more about what clothing, furniture and household items will be accepted at the event.
Volunteers needed! To volunteer, call (517) 337-9459 or send an email to Cathy DeShambo. All volunteers receive a t-shirt, food and beverages. Interested in serving on the planning committee? Members meet once a month leading up to the event, with some efforts outside of the meeting spent on fundraising. If interested, send an email to Cathy DeShambo.
- air conditioners (***BWL offers $25 rebate; limit 2)
- appliances (small)
- automotive batteries
- books (especially children’s)
- cell phones
- clothing (any condition)
- corrugated cardboard
- dehumidifiers (***Freon removed for free)
- electronics (*fees will be required for some electronics, see info below)
- eye glasses
- freezers (Freon removed for free)
- furniture (usable)
- glass bottles & jars
- household items (utensils)
- lawn mowers
- medications / prescriptions **
- newspapers, magazines and phone books
- paper (office paper, file folders, gift wrapping, brochures & inserts, regular & junk mail, paper bags)
- plastics (#1-#7)
- Polystyrene (no packing peanuts)
- pillows / blankets
- scrap metal
- tin, foil, steel and aluminum cans
- usable household goods (ie. toys, pictures, frames, lamps, etc)
- vacuum cleaners (working)
* Electronics Recycling - Computer accessories, audio/video equipment, handheld devices and office equipment will be accepted free of charge. Due to rising costs for recycling electronics, there will be a fee this year ($20 each) for recycling televisions, printers, copiers, computers and computer monitors.
** Medications and Prescriptions - Community members can properly dispose of prescription or over-the-counter medicine. Vitamins & minerals will not be accepted. Medications from businesses such as doctors office, dental clinic and nursing homes cannot be accepted. Please black out any personal information.
*** Room air conditioners and dehumidifiers (which contain Freon) can be dropped off for recycling for free this year thanks to a donation from the Lansing Board of Water & Light.
Recycle! East Lansing reserves the right to use discretion in setting fees during the event and to reject excessive quantities of items for disposal.
- small tires (16” diameter or less) - $5
- large tires - $10
- tractor tires - $15
- NEW! televisions, printers, copiers, computers and computer monitors - $20 each
- unusable Items (refuse) - $15-$20 per item for disposal
- lumber (no yard waste)
- $5 for small load
- $10 for small truck load
- $20 for large truck load
Items Not Accepted
- box springs
- carpet and carpet pads
- curbside recyclables
- documents for shredding
- fluorescent lights and fixtures
- fuel oil tanks
- gas cans
- glass (all)
- household batteries
- mercury (anything containing)
- oil and oil pans
- paint, solvents & stains
- propane tanks and bottles
- steel cable
- wire fencing
- yard waste