- Liberty Hyde Bailey Center Project - A completed redevelopment project at the former Bailey Community Center site, 300 Bailey St., which includes senior housing, the Capital Area Housing Partnership offices and a daycare program.
- Park District Planning Area - A redevelopment project at the northwest corner of Abbot Road and Grand River Avenue (100-140 W. Grand River) and the parcel at 341-345 Evergreen Avenue, including a mixed-use building with apartments and retail, a separate hotel building and a residential building planned for affordable rental apartments. View Updated Amended Brownfield Plan 11 (9/6/18).
- Center City District - While final retail locations are still being built out, the Landmark, the Newman Lofts, Target, Foster Coffee Company and Barrio are completed. This large-scale redevelopment project is in the heart of downtown East Lansing at 125, 133, 135 and 201-209 E. Grand River Ave. and the City's Albert Avenue Parking Lot, 200 Albert Ave. This project includes senior housing, mixed market housing, street level retail and additional public parking.
- The Hub - This project was completed in August 2019. It is located at the southeast corner of Grand River Avenue and Bogue Street and includes a 10-story, mixed-use building with 347 market rate apartments, 12,220 square feet of retail and a parking structure with 158 spaces.
- The Hub 2 - Core Campus Manager, LLC submitted a site plan and special use permit application for the Hub II which includes the properties at 131, 135, 207, 217 and 227 Bogue Street. The proposal is to demolish all of the existing buildings on the site and construct a 14 story, 720-unit multi-family development in two separate buildings, each at 152 feet tall, including amenities for the residents and structured parking for 400 vehicles. The development proposes a mix of apartment types ranging from efficiencies to four-bed units, including row houses. The East Lansing City Council referred the proposal back to the Planning Commission to afford the applicant time to make revisions to comply with the recent changes to the East Village zoning district regarding height and allowed number of bedrooms. The date of the Planning Commission meeting is to be determined.
- DDA Evergreen Properties - The DDA entered into a Memorandum of Understanding with River Caddis on April 24, 2020 for their project proposal for the DDA-owned properties located at 314, 328, 334, 340 and 344 Evergreen Ave. The proposed project includes an eight-story, 112-foot, mixed-used building with ground floor retail/restaurant space, 250,000 square feet of commercial office space and approximately 250 parking spaces.
- MSUFCU Branch and Innovation Office Space - Neumann/Smith Architecture, on behalf of Michigan State Federal Credit Union, has submitted plans for a seven-story (105 feet tall) commercial building with a gross floor area of approximately 87,822 square feet. The building is intended to include an MSUFCU Branch Credit Union on the ground floor, a community space, general office space, tenant spaces for lease and related support and service spaces.
- Provision Living - At its January 21, 2020 meeting, the East Lansing City Council approved a Site Plan and Special Use Permit application from Rockwood Development Group, LLC for the properties at 6290, 6330, 5350 Abbot Road and vacant land on Abbot Road
Neighborhood Scale Planning
- Avondale Square: A City-initiated, owner-occupied residential redevelopment project in the heart of East Lansing.
- Michigan Avenue Corridor Improvement Authority: A regional initiative to focus on improvements to this important shared corridor.
- Master Plan: The 2018 Master Plan (PDF) was approved by the East Lansing Planning Commission on May 23, 2018. A Master Plan is required by the Michigan Planning Enabling Act and is reviewed for updates every five years to project land use planning 20 years into the future.
- Cultural Economic Development Plan (PDF): Learn more about the Cultural Economic Development Plan for Greater Lansing's Urban Centers and the Plan's vision that "Greater Lansing will be the Midwest's most welcoming and supportive destination for creative innovators and entrepreneurs."
- Urban Design Guidelines - The Downtown Development Authority’s document that helps guide decisions about design elements in downtown East Lansing, including decorative paving, site amenities and the addition of public art throughout the downtown.
Technology and Innovation Highlights
- Jackson National Life Insurance Company leased and repurposed the former Barnes & Noble building in downtown East Lansing for a new office facility, which provides new full-time and part-time work for area college students and community members.
- Technology Innovation Center (TIC): fosters the region's entrepreneurial culture by helping entrepreneurs successfully grow their business.
- The Hatch: a City and MSU initiated student business accelerator enables student entrepreneurs to grow their ideas through a creative, co-working environment
- Facility for Rare Isotope Beams (FRIB): a new $730 million National User Facility for nuclear science is currently under construction on the MSU campus.
- IBM Global Delivery Center for Application Services continues to expand its operations in East Lansing
- Working Bugs, a green chemical manufacturer, is transforming the former Public Works site into an expanded production facility.
- Vertafore expanded their East Lansing hub, bringing 150 employees into a 36,000 square foot office space at 1500 Abbot Road in East Lansing.
- The Non-motorized Transportation Plan, adopted in 2011, guides future bicycle and pedestrian improvements in the community.
Northern Tier Projects
- 6210 Abbot Road: Construction of a mix of 50 three- and four-unit, two-bedroom buildings. The total site area is 12.26 acres, with 230 parking spaces provided.
- 6290-6360 Abbot Road: Construction of an assisted living and memory care building, independent living villas and a four-story independent living building. The total site area is 23.22 acres, with 310 total parking spaces provided.
- 1520 Earl Ave.: Construction of this two-story office building, with a partial third-story mechanical penthouse, was completed on November 22, 2019. The total site area is 9.16 acres, with 133 parking spaces provided. This development is anticipated to add 101 employees.
- 1560 Earl Ave.: Construction of a single-story office building for a single user. The total site area is 2.05 acres, with 100 parking spaces provided. This development will add an anticipated 100 employees, which includes the future growth of this business.
- 3512 Coolidge Road: Construction of this single-story building that is operated as an inpatient geriatric psychiatric facility, specifically assisting senior citizens, was completed on February 6, 2020. The facility will be open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, with the expected occupancy being 21 of the 23 units on average. The total site plan area is 2.9 acres, with 46 additional parking spaces.