Civil Division

The Civil Division handles small claims, landlord / tenant and general civil cases. The person initiating the case is called the plaintiff and the person who is being sued is called the defendant. All cases in the Civil Division require a filing fee.
General civil cases involve disputes of $25,000 or less. In most general civil cases, the plaintiff is asking for a specific amount of money to be paid by the defendant. However, in some civil cases, the plaintiff may ask for an injunction, which is when the court orders the defendant to stop some behavior or to do a specific thing.

Small claims cases are limited to a maximum claim (lawsuit) of $6,500. Neither party can have an attorney.

Landlord / Tenant cases involve a dispute between a landlord and a tenant. Parties can have an attorney if they wish, but do not have to.
The Court Clerks are available to offer assistance in processing paperwork. Court Clerks CANNOT and are forbidden by law to give legal advice.