EAST LANSING, Mich. — In light of a candidate dropping out of the 2020 presidential race, the East Lansing City Clerk’s office is advising East Lansing voters of their options for spoiling and re-voting their absentee voter (AV) ballot leading up to next week’s March 10, 2020 Presidential Primary Election.
Voters who would like to spoil their AV ballot and receive a new one must submit a request in writing with their name, address, date and signature to the East Lansing City Clerk’s Office, 410 Abbot Road, or email@example.com. Forms are available at the East Lansing City Clerk’s office and online at www.cityofeastlansing.com/elections; however, the City Clerk’s office will also accept signed statements (in any form) from voters indicating that they would like to spoil their ballot and receive a new one or that they requested a ballot and never received one.
It is important to note that, if a voter has voted for a candidate that has since dropped out of the election, the rest of their ballot will not be invalidated. It is not required to spoil and re-vote a ballot.
Here are some key deadlines and other important information to keep in mind:
- Voters who have not requested an AV ballot have until Friday, March 6 at 5 p.m. to request that an AV ballot be mailed to them.
- Voters who never received their AV ballot or who would like to spoil and re-vote their AV ballot, have until Saturday, March 7 at 2 p.m. to request that their ballot be spoiled and a new one be mailed to them.
- The last day that a voter can request and vote an AV ballot in person at the City Clerk’s office is Monday, March 9 at 4 p.m. This is also the deadline for voters to spoil their AV ballot and receive a new one in person.
- Only those who register to vote at the East Lansing City Clerk’s office on Election Day may vote absentee in person on that day.
- All AV ballots must be returned to the City Clerk’s office, not a voter’s precinct, by 8 p.m. on Election Day.
- Voters who have not voted their AV ballot can vote in person at their polling location on Election Day by completing an Affidavit of Lost or Destroyed Absent Voter Ballot or by surrendering the original ballot.
- Voters who have voted their AV ballot will have no option on Election Day to spoil the ballot that has already been received by the East Lansing City Clerk’s office.
East Lansing community members are reminded that the City Clerk’s office will have expanded hours this week. The office will be open from 5-8 p.m. on Tuesday, March 3 and Thursday, March 5; and from 8 a.m.-4 p.m. on Saturday, March 7 and Sunday, March 8 to register voters and issue/receive AV ballots. Community members with questions can call the City Clerk’s office at (517) 319-6914.
Polls will be open on Election Day from 7 a.m.-8 p.m. Voters can visit https://mvic.sos.state.mi.us/ to verify they are registered and find their voting location. Additional election information, including voter registration and AV ballot applications, is available at www.cityofeastlansing.com/elections.