EAST LANSING, Mich. — Until further notice, the East Lansing Fire Department (ELFD) will maintain its ban on recreational burning in the City of East Lansing.
The ban does not apply to grilling or cooking using charcoal, wood, propane or natural gas in cooking or grilling appliances. At this time, the ban also does not include consumer grade fireworks used during legally permitted days and time periods. However, ELFD will continue to monitor conditions and a ban on consumer grade fireworks remains an option should conditions continue to deteriorate.
Residents who plan to use fireworks over the 4th of July holiday are reminded that they are only permitted to be used on the day before, the day of and the day after the holiday. Additionally, on these permitted days, it is illegal to use fireworks between the hours of 1-8 a.m. Find additional information here: http://www.cityofeastlansing.com/DocumentCenter/Home/View/651.
“Residents who use fireworks on the permitted days and hours over the holiday weekend should be vigilant and use extreme caution under the current conditions,” said East Lansing Fire Marshal Don Carter.
Here are a number of other safety tips from the U.S. Fire Administration:
• Never allow children to play with or ignite fireworks. Sparklers are considered by many the ideal "safe" firework for the young and burn at very low temperatures; however, they can easily ignite clothing.
• Read and follow all warnings and instructions.
• Be sure other people are out of range before lighting fireworks. Never shoot a firework at or near another person.
• Only light fireworks on a smooth, flat surface away from the house, dry leaves, and flammable materials.
• Never try to relight fireworks that have not fully functioned. Douse and soak them with water and throw them away.
• Keep a bucket of water or hose handy in case of a malfunction or fire.
• Never ignite fireworks in a container, especially a glass or metal container.
• Keep unused fireworks away from firing areas.
• Store fireworks in a cool, dry place. Check instructions for special storage directions.
• When lighting, never have any portion of your body directly over a firework.
• Don't experiment with homemade fireworks.