EAST LANSING, Mich. – A Christmas tree live burn demonstration will take place at the East Lansing Fire Department (ELFD) this Friday, Dec. 15 at 10 a.m. behind ELFD’s Fire Station 1, 1700 Abbot Road. Members of the media and community are invited to attend.
The demonstration is being hosted in an effort to educate the community about the potential dangers of dry Christmas trees and to show how quickly they can burn if a fire does occur. To prevent a tragedy around the holidays, community members are encouraged to:
- Water Christmas trees daily by adding water to the tree stand
- Replace any string of lights with worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections
- Turn off Christmas tree lights before leaving home or going to bed
- Make sure Christmas trees are at least three feet away from any heat source
- Dispose of or recycle the tree after the holidays
For additional Christmas tree fire safety tips, visit http://www.nfpa.org/Public-Education/By-topic/Seasonal-fires/Winter-holiday-safety/Christmas-tree-fires.
There will be photo/video opportunities during Friday’s live burn demonstration as well as interview opportunities.
Special thanks to The Home Depot in Okemos for donating the building supplies and tree for the demonstration.