EAST LANSING, Mich. – The 2018 Michigan State University (MSU) Homecoming Parade will take place on Friday, Oct. 5, beginning at 6 p.m.
This year’s MSU Homecoming theme is “Celebrating Unwavering Courage” and the Grand Marshal is Ernest Green – a member of the Little Rock Nine, a Civil Rights activist and an MSU Alumnus. Green was one of nine teens who helped integrate Central High School in Little Rock, Arkansas in 1957.
The 2018 MSU Homecoming Parade will begin at the Abbot-Burcham intersection (staging at the East Lansing Hannah Community Center) and travel south on Abbot Road, east on Grand River Avenue, south on Farm Lane via the Collingwood Entrance and end at the intersection of Farm and Shaw lanes.
Community members are invited to don their green-and-white gear and line the streets of the parade route. Community members can view a map of the parade route here: https://alumni.msu.edu/assets/PDFs/paradeRoute.pdf and find additional MSU Homecoming information at http://www.homecoming.msu.edu/parade/.
These East Lansing streets and their intersections will be closed Friday, Oct. 5 to accommodate the parade. Please note that some of the roadway re-opening times are approximate. Roadways will re-open once the last parade unit has passed through:
- Abbot Road, between Oxford Road/Whitehills Drive and Burcham Drive, from 2:30-7 p.m.
- Abbot Road, between Burcham Drive and Grand River Avenue, from 5:30-7:15 p.m.
- Burcham Drive, between Old Hickory Lane and Abbot Road, from 3-7:15 p.m.
- Grand River Avenue, between Abbot Road and the Collingwood Drive entrance to the MSU campus, from 5:30-7:15 p.m.
These streets near the East Lansing Hannah Community Center will also be closed Friday, Oct. 5 for parade staging:
- Centerlawn Avenue, from Forest Street to Abbot Road, from 2:30-7 p.m.
- Evergreen Avenue, from Centerlawn Avenue to Northlawn Avenue, from 2:30-7 p.m.
- Forest Street, from Centerlawn Avenue to Northlawn Avenue, from 2:30-7 p.m.
- Fern Street, from Evergreen Avenue to Abbot Road, from 2:30-7 p.m.
- Northlawn Avenue, from Forest Street to Abbot Road, from 2:30-7 p.m.
City Closures: Please note that the East Lansing Hannah Community Center will close at noon on Oct. 5 and the parking lot will be used for parade staging. Additionally, the East Lansing Public Library will be closed on Friday, Oct. 5.
Other street closures and alternate routes: All roads southbound off Albert Avenue, between Durand Street and Abbot Road, will be closed to through traffic. Some roads leading to Abbot Road (Library Lane, Centerlawn Avenue and Northlawn Avenue) will also be closed to through traffic. Eastbound and westbound traffic should take Saginaw Highway. Northbound and southbound traffic should take either Harrison Road or Hagadorn Road.
For more information about MSU Homecoming, visit http://www.homecoming.msu.edu. Go Green!