EAST LANSING, Mich. — City of East Lansing offices and the East Lansing 54B District Court will be closed on Thursday, Jan. 31 due to the continuing emergency weather conditions impacting the State of Michigan. Non-essential staff have been advised not to report to work.
The East Lansing Hannah Community Center will be closing for the day; however, the East Lansing Public Library will remain open to serve as a warming center for community members in need of a short-term place to warm up and charge devices. ELPL’s hours tomorrow are 10 a.m.-9 p.m.
Community members in need of a warming center prior to ELPL’s opening tomorrow are encouraged to go to the East Lansing Police Department (ELPD), 409 Park Lane, which is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. ELPD is available to transport community members to long-term, overnight shelter locations as needed.
Community members experiencing an emergency are urged to call 911. Community members can call 211 for non-emergency services.
Here are a few other key things to keep in mind:
- Trash and recycling collection will be delayed a day throughout the remainder of the week. Wednesday’s routes will be collected Thursday, Thursday’s routes will be collected Friday and Friday’s routes will be collected Saturday.
- Sidewalk snow removal enforcement for property owners has been suspended until 8 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 1.
- Community members are urged to dress for the weather (i.e. layers, hats, gloves, face masks, waterproof boots) and limit time outdoors during the extreme cold.
- CATA is offering transportation to warming centers and shelters. Those unable to pay the bus fare will be transported for free. The CATA Transportation Center in downtown Lansing is open to the public for those needing shelter or awaiting connections to routes until 11 p.m. unless otherwise noted
- A list of Lansing warming centers and shelters is available here: https://www.lansingmi.gov/1807/Warming-Center.
It is expected that City of East Lansing offices will be open and fully operational by Friday, Feb. 1. The East Lansing 54B District Court will remain closed to the public for its annual inventory.
City officials are continuously monitoring the weather forecasts/conditions and will provide updates as necessary. To stay-up-to-date on all weather-related alerts and advisories, community members are encouraged to sign up for Nixle (ELPD notifications) and Everbridge (Ingham County notifications): https://www.cityofeastlansing.com/172/Sign-Up-for-Emergency-Alerts. Updates are also being provided via the City’s website, www.cityofeastlansing.com, and social media.