EAST LANSING, Mich. — The 2019 Michigan State University (MSU) Homecoming Parade will take place next Friday, Sept. 27, beginning at 6 p.m.
This year’s MSU Homecoming theme is “Spartans Inspire Success” and the Grand Marshal is Susan Packard – former HGTV chief operating officer, author and MSU alumna. Packard’s triumphs in media, written works and continued mentorship truly exemplifies what it means to inspire success.
The 2019 MSU Homecoming Parade will begin at the Abbot-Burcham intersection (staging at the East Lansing Hannah Community Center) and travel south on Abbot Road, east on Grand River Avenue, south on Farm Lane via the Collingwood Entrance and end at the intersection of Farm and Shaw lanes.
Community members are invited to don their green-and-white gear and line the streets of the parade route. Community members can find additional MSU Homecoming information at https://alumni.msu.edu/traditions/homecoming/parade.cfm
While the parade is rain or shine, it will be canceled if there is severe weather: https://alumni.msu.edu/traditions/homecoming/parade.cfm.
A number of East Lansing streets and intersections will be closed Friday, Sept. 27 to accommodate the parade.
Please note that some of the roadway re-opening times are approximate. Roadways will re-open once the last parade unit has passed through. Closures include:
- Abbot Road, between Oxford Road/Whitehills Drive and Burcham Drive, from 2:30-7 p.m.
- Abbot Road, between Burcham Drive and Grand River Avenue, from 5:30-7:15 p.m.
- Burcham Drive, between Old Hickory Lane and Abbot Road, from 3-7:15 p.m.
- Grand River Avenue, between Abbot Road and the Collingwood Drive entrance to the MSU campus, from 5:30-7:15 p.m.
These streets near the East Lansing Hannah Community Center will also be closed Friday, Sept. 27 for parade staging:
- Centerlawn Avenue, from Forest Street to Abbot Road, from 2:30-7 p.m.
- Evergreen Avenue, from Centerlawn Avenue to Northlawn Avenue, from 2:30-7 p.m.
- Forest Street, from Centerlawn Avenue to Northlawn Avenue, from 2:30-7 p.m.
- Fern Street, from Evergreen Avenue to Abbot Road, from 2:30-7 p.m.
- Northlawn Avenue, from Forest Street to Abbot Road, from 2:30-7 p.m.
City Closures: Please note that the East Lansing Hannah Community Center will close at noon on Sept. 27 and the parking lot will be used for parade staging. Additionally, the East Lansing Public Library will close at 3 p.m. on Sept. 27.
Other street closures and alternate routes: All roads southbound off Albert Avenue, between Durand Street and Abbot Road, will be closed to through traffic. Some roads leading to Abbot Road (Library Lane, Centerlawn Avenue and Northlawn Avenue) will also be closed to through traffic. Eastbound and westbound traffic should take Saginaw Highway. Northbound and southbound traffic should take either Harrison Road or Hagadorn Road.