EAST LANSING, Mich. — This week, replacement absent voter (AV) ballots will be sent out to 145 voters in Precinct 17 that reside in the East Lansing and Lansing school districts.
Precinct 17 covers the area of East Lansing located in Clinton County and it contains three school districts: Bath, East Lansing and Lansing. The East Lansing and Lansing school districts are a part of the Ingham Intermediate School District (ISD), which has placed a ballot question on the Presidential Primary Election ballot that was not included on the original AV ballots sent to these voters over the past two weeks. Specifically, 145 voters in Precinct 17 have been issued an AV ballot without the Ingham ISD Special Education Millage Proposal ballot question. Ballot language can be found here: https://cl.ingham.org/Department/County%20Clerk/Elections/Election%20Results/Consolidated%20Ballot%20Proposals.pdf.
Replacement ballots will be sent out this week to impacted voters along with a letter explaining the situation. Precinct 17 voters are being advised of the following:
- Voters who have already voted and returned their AV ballot can re-vote with the new replacement ballots they receive and return them to the City Clerk’s office following the instructions.
- Voters who have not yet voted should vote using the new replacement ballots going out this week and return them to the City Clerk’s office following the instructions.
- Only one AV ballot per voter will be counted.
- If a voter chooses not to re-vote and re-submit the replacement ballot, their original voted ballot will be counted.
- Voters who do re-submit the replacement AV ballot should fill out all portions of the ballot that they wish to vote on, as the original ballot from the same voter will be spoiled once the re-voted ballot is received.
This issue only impacts Precinct 17 voters in the Lansing and East Lansing school districts who have already received an AV ballot. A precinct boundary map can be viewed here: https://www.cityofeastlansing.com/DocumentCenter/View/7383/November-2018-Precinct-Map-PDF?bidId=.
Impacted voters with questions can contact the East Lansing City Clerk’s office at (517) 319-6914.