EAST LANSING, Mich. — The East Lansing Police Department (ELPD) will be hosting a “Raise a Ton, Put a Cop in Jail” food drive event on Saturday, April 20 from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. at Patriarche Park (corner of Alton Road and Saginaw Street).
After successfully collecting 600 pounds of food donations at last year’s event, the ELPD has increased its goal to raise more than one ton (2,000 pounds) of food donations this year. If they reach their goal, an ELPD officer has volunteered to spend eight hours in the East Lansing Jail as a prisoner. The name of the officer will be announced at a later date.
Community members are encouraged to bring food donations to Patriarche Park on the day of the event. All donations will go to the help those served by the Greater Lansing Food Bank. The food bank's greatest needs are:
- Baby food and formula: Enfamil® and Enfamil® ProSobee® brands
- Beans (canned): kidney, navy, pinto, pork & beans, refried
- Beverages: hot chocolate, coffee, tea
- Boxed meals: Hormel® Compleat® dinners, Helper ® Meals
- Canned fruit or vegetables
- Canned pasta: Beefaroni, ravioli, SpaghettiOs®
- Fish (canned): salmon, tuna
- Fruit Juice 100% (canned or boxed)
- Meats (canned): beef stew, chili, hash, SPAM®
- Muffin and pancake mixes
- Pasta: Macaroni, noodles (including Ramen), spaghetti
- Peanut butter
- Potatoes: instant
- Rice: instant and dinners
- Soup (canned or boxed)
- Snack items: fruit snacks, granola bars, Pop-Tarts®
- Staples: flour, spices (basic), sugar, syrup
- Tomato Products: canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste
- Vegetable oil (bottled)
The food bank cannot accept home-canned or homemade goods, opened or damaged items and fresh or perishable food items.