EAST LANSING, Mich. — Residents are advised that some additional adjustments have been made to the City of East Lansing’s yard waste and bulk item curbside collection programs in an effort to continue to meet the needs of the community, while also accommodating reduced staffing levels during the ongoing COVID-19 crisis.
Following a successful first round of no-fee yard waste collection on the City’s east and west sides these past two weeks, the East Lansing Department of Public Works (DPW) plans to provide the second round of no-fee yard waste collection in a similar way. Additionally, the City plans to offer one week of bulk item collection next week to accommodate spring move-out and resident need. Please keep the following key dates in mind:
- Monday, May 4 – Bulk item collection offered throughout the week (see guidelines below); no yard waste collection this week
- Monday, May 11 - No-fee yard waste collection offered on the City’s east side (homes east of Abbot Road)
- Monday, May 18 - No-fee yard waste collection offered on City’s west side (homes west of Abbot Road)
- Monday, May 25 – Memorial Day; no yard waste or bulk item collection this week
- Monday, June 1 – Regular yard waste and bulk item collection services to resume if City offices have re-opened to the public (to accommodate sale of bags/stickers)
Bulk Item Collection Guidelines
Advanced requests are required for the bulk item collection services that will be offered during the week of Monday, May 4. From Wednesday, April 29 to Friday, May 8 at 10 a.m., community members can call DPW at (517) 337-9459 during current office hours (Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-3 p.m.) to make collection requests and provide payment over the phone.
To avoid receiving an unnecessary fine, community members are asked to not leave items at the curb without first making a request and providing payment. There is a $20 fee for each bulk item ($42 for items containing Freon). Bulk items include furniture, appliances, carpet, mattresses and other large rubbish items that exceed 40 pounds and/or do not fit in a City refuse cart or yellow City trash bag.
Yard Waste Collection Guidelines
On no-fee yard waste collection days, it is not necessary to make advanced requests or use City yard waste stickers or bags, but all other yard waste guidelines do apply:
- Yard waste includes leaves, plant material, grass clippings and brush/limbs.
- Yard waste may be placed at the curb no earlier than 8 p.m. the day before collection and no later than 7:30 a.m. the day of collection.
- Yard waste must be contained within a paper yard waste bag or rigid, 32-gallon plastic container.
- Bags and rigid, 32-gallon plastic containers must weigh no more than 40 pounds and bags should be stored in a dry location prior to being placed at the curb.
- Brush/limbs can also be bundled with string/twine. Bundles may not be more than 4 feet long and 1 foot in diameter. Individual limbs must be 4 inches in diameter or less and bundles must not weigh more than 40 pounds.
Community members with questions can call the East Lansing Department of Public Works at (517) 337-9459. Staff is currently available Monday-Friday from 8 a.m.-3 p.m.