Learn about upcoming and current construction in the City of East Lansing. Please note that the City of East Lansing does not have jurisdiction over all streets in East Lansing and some road construction projects are the responsibility of the Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT), Michigan State University or neighboring communities.
In addition to the construction projects listed below, community members are encouraged to sign up for Nixle to learn about road closures related to traffic accidents and emergency infrastructure repairs (i.e. water main breaks).
- 2022-2023 Hazardous Sidewalk Program (first phase completed in 2022, second phase to begin in July 2023) - This project includes removal and replacement of concrete sidewalks, driveways and drives that have been identified as hazardous in the Chesterfield Hills neighborhood. The project also includes excavation, cleanup, restoration and all incidental work necessary to complete the project and provide a functional system. The first phase of the project was completed in 2022, with the second phase expected to begin in summer 2023 on the following streets:
Kensington Road (from Michigan Avenue to Grand River Avenue)
Huntington Road (from Kensington Road to University Drive)
Westbound Michigan Avenue Only (from Cowley Avenue to Harrison Road)
Chesterfield Parkway (from Kensington Road to Huntington Road)
Cresenwood Road ( from Kensington Road to University Drive)
During the work, there will be some limitations to through traffic and restricted parking. Additional updates will be provided soon.
- Coolidge and West Road Construction (began in September 2022, construction to resume in early spring 2023) - Spot curb and gutter repair, manhole structure adjustments and milling/resurfacing was substantially completed on West Road, between Coleman Road and Lake Lansing Road, in 2022. The same scope of work will commence in spring 2023 on Coolidge Road, from Coleman Road to State Road. Coolidge Road will be closed to through traffic during construction, with local traffic and access to commercial properties maintained.
- Major Street Improvements on Burcham Drive and Haslett Road (construction to begin in early June 2023) - This project will include road reconstruction on Burcham Drive, from Abbot Road to Timberlane Street, and sidewalk improvements along Haslett Road, from Deerpath Lane to Merritt Road.
- Local Utility Improvement Project (construction beginning in early spring 2023) - This project will include replacement of water main, sewer, curb and gutter, driveways and sidewalks on Collingwood Drive, Kedzie Street, Division Street, Gunson Street and Sunrise Court. The project will also include surface milling and paving. View the notification letter sent to residents (PDF) for additional information.
- Lake Lansing Road Transportation Improvement Project by Ingham County Road Department (tentatively scheduled to begin in 2023) - The Ingham County Road Department is planning a Transportation Improvement Project for Lake Lansing Road, from Abbot Road to Hagadorn Road. The project scope includes a four to three lane conversion, bike lanes and ADA improvements throughout the project limits and a reconfiguration of the Lake Lansing-Birch-Towar intersection for a signalized intersection to provide safe and efficient pedestrian crossings.
- Local Roadway Improvements Project (construction in 2024) - This project will include replacement of water main, sewer, curb and gutter, driveways and sidewalks as well as surface milling and paving in the South Whitehills Neighborhood, Stoddard Avenue, Melrose Street, King Court and Berkshire Lane.